Whether makeup should be worn on the daily, or reserved for special occasions, has become a controversial topic, especially in recent years during which the ‘natural look’ has gained momentum. Is it bad to wear makeup everyday?
It is not bad to wear makeup on the daily, as long as it is properly removed at the end of the day. Problems will arise if the makeup is left on for long periods of time, such at night while sleeping. This will with no doubt, lead to breakouts. However, there are varied opinions on this subject.
The effect of makeup on an individual highly depends on their skin type and what activities they are involved in during the day. Those with acne prone skin types are not advised to wear makeup everyday, since they should let their pores breath. Athletes should avoid makeup on the daily as well, since sweating with makeup on is a known cause for breakouts.
Opinion: ‘Makeup Should Not Be Worn Everyday’
There are differing opinions on whether it is okay to wear makeup everyday or not. Many women have spoken out about feeling insecure without any makeup on, especially if they have worn makeup in public for many years. This is a stereotype that should be eliminated, since everyone should feel comfortable in their natural skin. However, makeup is also a great tool to enhance our natural looks.
The main reason why many women believe makeup should not be worn everyday is because once they get used to the way their face looks with makeup, it becomes difficult to stop its use, leading to unnecessary insecurities. However, there are also a series of aspects that must be taken into account when considering the everyday use of makeup:
- All makeup products, both cream and powder formulas, clog your pores when applied to the face. Clogged pores are a primary cause of acne, blackheads, and skin irritation. Consider purchasing non-comedogenic makeup formulas that will not clog your pores and will allow the skin to breath easier.
- Consistent makeup use, over a long period of time, can lead to premature aging and wrinkles. This occurs especially among individuals who sleep with their makeup on.
- Individuals who have oily skin need to be careful about the type of makeup they purchase, and the period of time by which they leave makeup on. The majority of foundations and concealers contain high concentrations of oils, so attempt to purchase oil free formulas to avoid any issues.
Read more on the negative effects of wearing makeup everyday here.
Opinion: ‘Makeup Can Be Safely Worn Everyday’
While many people uphold the opinion that make up should not be worn everyday, others claim that there is nothing wrong with it, since for many makeup represents a sense of confidence, an air of empowerment, and a sense of selflessness.
If you decide to wear makeup on the daily, there are ways to ensure your skin’s health and safety without having to stop wearing makeup all together. The following are a series of tips that can be followed:
- Give your skin a break, at least one day per week. Lazy Sundays are usually the best days to give your skin a makeup free day, or any other day where you decide to stay at home.
- Remove your makeup completely before going to bed. Make sure to include your entire skin routine. Use makeup remover, cleanser, toner, and moisturizer to ensure your skin will recuperate during the night, so it will be ready in the morning for more makeup.
- Abstain from sharing makeup products and tools with friends. Our makeup products can easily harvest bacteria, so make sure to use them only on yourself. Disinfect your beauty tools on the regular.