Many people dream of having naturally full, thick, and long eyelashes. While not everyone is blessed with naturally amazing eyelashes, there are many ways to enhance them and aid in their growth without resorting to makeup. Is jojoba oil good for eyelashes?
Jojoba oil is extracted from the seed of the Simmondsia chinensis plant, found in the SouthWest United States. The oil has multiple benefits, and is commonly used as an eyelash enhancer. It contains moisturizing and regenerative properties that stimulate hair growth.
While jojoba oil is commonly used as an eyelash enhancer, it is not commercially sold as thus. Instead, it is primarily marketed as a natural treatment for acne, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions.
Jojoba Oil Natural Properties
Jojoba oil has been used on humans since thousands of years ago, by the Native American tribes that populated Southern California, Southern Arizona, and Northwestern New Mexico. Jojoba oil is still today considered a miracle product that is completely natural yet highly effective when applied consistently. Consider the natural properties that oil offers:
- Hydration: Jojoba oil is known for being highly moisturizing, and deeply penetrating and hydrating the skin and hair. It creates healthy looking lashes that are smoother and shiny looking. The product is also praised for its ‘long lasting’ hydrating effect; the product does not evaporate like many other moisturizers do, and instead penetrates each lash strand.
- Nutrition: Jojoba oil contains many natural nutrients that are necessary for healthy skin and hair. It contains Vitamins E and B, antioxidants, and minerals such as copper and zinc. These help promote healthy hair growth.
- Anti-aging: Jojoba oil contains anti-aging properties when applied to the skin or hair. It helps nourish brittle, broken, or dry eyelashes than may need an ‘immunity boost’.
- Antibacterial: Jojoba oil is known for having antibacterial elements, which help combat any germs or bacteria that may be present in the area applied.
- No residue: Jojoba oil does not leave behind a greasy residue that could lead to skin irritation or clogged pores, when applied around the eye area. The formula is gentle and sinks into the skin or hair without compromising pores.
- Non allergenic: Jojoba oil is not irritating and does not cause allergic reactions when applied. It is extremely gentle and in some cases can help soothe irritated skin.
If you are thinking of trying an eyelash enhancer, but do not want to spend a lot of money on expensive products, jojoba oil is a good product to start with. Begin with a clean face – wash your face with your regular cleanser, and make sure to clean off any traces of dirt or makeup. Pat your face dry, and gently swipe your eyelash area to remove any moisture. Then apply a few drops of the oil on your fingertips and softly apply to your lashes, making sure to coat them evenly. You can also apply the product with a q-tip or any small applicator.
When shopping for jojoba oil, try to find the most natural options available. Organic products are always best when using natural oils as skincare, since they usually only contain the pure oil and no other ingredients. The following are great options to consider:
- Jojoba Oil by Art Naturals
- Organic Jojoba Oil by Teddie Organics
- Organic Jojoba Oil by Desert Essence
- Jojoba Oil by Kate Blanc Cosmetics
- Organic Jojoba Oil by Viva Natural
While jojoba oil’s main uses are not centered around lash growth, the product has proven to be a great alternative to expensive brand name serums with the same effect, using all natural ingredients.
While the brands mentioned above are recommended, you can purchase jojoba oil in many other locations at a cheaper cost – just make sure the only ingredients are ‘pure jojoba oil’ to avoid any allergic reactions, or other secondary effects.