Kate Spade is at the top of the pyramid in terms of affordable and entry level apparel luxury brands. The company provides beautifully crafted pieces at affordable price points, how can these products be described in terms of quality? Where is Kate Spade made?
While Kate Spade is titled ‘Kate Spade New York’, most of the products are manufactured in Asia, between China and Indonesia. In the past, a large segment of production was made within the United States. Company changes made in 2002 changed these aspects, making Asia the main producer.
It is highly common for affordable luxury brands to produce accessory products such as handbags in other countries, such as China, due to lowered production costs. These brands are not led by promises of exclusivity, such as higher end luxury brands like Prada and Fendi that are valued because of their craftsmanship, made within the country of origin.
Countries of Production
While the majority of Kate Spade handbags are produced within China and Indonesia, there are many other locations where Kate Spade production occurs. These include the United States, Italy, Taiwan, The Philippines, and The Dominican Republic. The most affordable and inexpensive products tend to be the most massively produced. These occur in factories located within the Asian countries stated previously, since they are valued for their quick production process and low labour costs, ideal for a brand like Kate Spade and their outreach.
The more expensive products offered by Kate Spade, and specific lines such as limited editions, are made in North America and Europe. Within these continents, manufacturing costs are much more expensive, however the end quality tends to be better. This has varied throughout the years however. Consider the line of nylon bags that Kate Spade released in 1996. From the release date, up to 2002, these were produced between the United States and Taiwan. Currently, versions of these nylon bags are made within China and Indonesia, as per the majority of production.
How To Identify Fakes
A very common aspect among affordable luxury brands, is the mass production of fake and copied designs who establish themselves as part of the real brand, but in reality are cheaply made alternatives. These fake bags can be found all over the world, since sadly, this has become a common practice. Kate Spade is one of the most commonly seen brands with fake copies made consistently, as well as brand competitors such as Micahel Kors and Coach.
There are a series of ways to quickly identify fake Kate Spade bags, so that you do not make the mistake of purchasing one. Identifying fake bags is easier when it comes to higher end luxury products, since their high quality is easy to detect. However, with more affordable brands such as these, the quality can range from average to good, meaning they can be easy to imitate. Consider the following aspects:
- Purchase your Kate Spade handbag from an official Kate Spade store, online site, or at any other certified multi brand stores that carry the brand. Never purchase your bag at a street market, even if the price and appearance are the same as the authentic.
- Analyze the exterior material. Kate Spade is known for using classic, refined materials in the exterior of their handbags. Check for consistent and clean stitching.
- The hardware throughout the bag should match exactly. Kate Spade uses either gold colored hardware, or silver.
- The brand logo should be placed precisely in the lower center of the handbag, depending on the model. It should simply say ‘Kate Spade New York’, with ‘New York’ placed under ‘Kate Spade’. ‘Kate Spade’ is always written in all lowercase letters. If the logo is written in all uppercase, you will know for sure that the bag is not authentic.
- Finally, make sure to check the country of origin label. Consider the previously mentioned countries as a guide to check the authenticity of your Kate Spade handbag.